WordPress beginners are struggling to get traffic and they think that bringing visitors to a website is the hardest part. However, established bloggers know that the real struggle starts after that. When a visitor lands on your site, you need to ensure that the visitor does not leave by just visiting that page that he landed on. The more pages he views on your site, the better it is for your revenue and traffic. So it is important to learn how to reduce bounce rate and increase pageviews on your WordPress site.
If we can define both page view and bounce rate then it will be something like this:
- A page view is the request by a visitor to view a single page on your website. The more pages are requested, the more page views are counted.
- Bounce rate is the percentage of users who visit your website and click away after visiting just a single page.
How to Reduce Bounce Rate
Before we start to discuss how you can reduce bounce rate and increase page views, you must first install either Google Analytics or Statcounter to monitor visitor activity on your website. After you have done that, there are some things which you can do to increase user engagement and page views on your website.
- Internlink extensively within your posts. When visitor will be reading your post, he is likely to click on other posts mentioned in the page as links to other pages on your website. Make the interlinking relevant and interesting to increase click through rate.
- Add related posts after the post or alongside post content. Below post is the most clickable area because when a user finishes reading and if he finds relevant and interesting content below post, he is very likely to click to that page too. Many premium WordPress themes support this out of the box. If your theme does not support it then you can use a plugin like YAARP to show related posts based on category or tags below the post.
- Show post excerpts on category pages, home page and other archive pages. Again most good themes support this and you dont need to do anything special to achieve this. But if your theme does not support this, try to get a theme that does. Or you can use a plugin for that.
- Show your most popular posts on the sidebar. Users are very likely to click through the established best content on your website if you display it properly. Again many widgets are there to show these most popular posts.
- Another technique that many viral sites with low bounce rates use is that they split up pages or posts into multiple pages. However, in case of a content site, be careful that you do not annoy the user because of low content on split pages.
By doing the above things you will see that your pageviews will increase. Above tips are very helpful when you are looking to know how to reduce bounce rate on your website.